Sticky Toffee Cake
We’ve got a secret weapon when it comes to simple, seasonal desserts: Sticky Toffee Cake.And something as insanely decadent as sticky toffee has GOT to be hard to make, right? Wrong. Our version is made with Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix, so we’ve already got a great head start—and with the addition of a few sweet, flavorful dates and a rich, homemade sticky toffee-inspired glaze, you really can’t go wrong. Bake ’em up, glaze ’em up and get ready for a round of applause!
- Yield: 8 mini cakes
- Category: Dessert
For the cakes:
- 1 ½ cups (6 oz) chopped and pitted dates
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup butter (melted)
- 1 box Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix
For the sauce:
- 1 ¼ cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour eight 8-ounce ramekins.
- Bring the dates and water to boil in a small sauce pan for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Once mixture has cooled slightly, puree the softened dates and water with an immersion blender, small food processor, or normal blender.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and melted butter. Slowly add in the pureed dates, making sure the mixture is not so hot that it could scramble the eggs. Whisk in cake mix until fully combined.
- Divide mixture evenly between the prepared ramekins, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake for 28-32 minutes, or until tops bounce back when touched. Removing cakes from ramekins after baking is totally optional.
For the glaze
- In a small sauce pan, bring sugar, cream, and butter to a slight boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling and stirring for two to three minutes, or until mixture thickens slightly.
- Stir in vanilla and pour over cakes while hot, right before serving. Voila!
- We found organic pitted dates in bulk at our local grocery store, check the dried fruits aisle!
- Remove the pits from dates and leave whole. The hot water softens them enough to easily puree them in a blender or food processor.