Salted Caramel Cake Balls
Running around doing a million things to prep for the holidays? Stop, drop and roll up some of these perfectly organic cake balls, and cross at least 5 things off your list at once. They’re a great way to salvage extra cake (or any cake disasters), so easy to make that little chefs can step in to help out, AND they’re vegan—so everyone on your holiday guest list can enjoy ’em!
To whip up a batch of these decadent, dramatic treats, all you need is a jar of our fabulous Salted Caramel Frosting, some cake crumbs, a bar of super-dark Scharffen Berger chocolate and a few pinches of flaky sea salt.
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 32 cake balls
- Category: Dessert
For the cake (See our FAQ for vegan cake instructions)
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 box Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix
For the frosting
For the topping
- 1 bar Scharffen Berger 70% Bittersweet Dark Chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease and flour the sides and bottom of a 13×9-inch baking dish.
- Transfer the cooled cake to a large bowl, breaking up and crumbling the cake into very small pieces using your hands or a fork.
- Add Salted Caramel Frosting 1 spoonful at a time to the cake crumbs, mixing together until desired consistency is achieved. Soft, but still firm enough to form into bite-sized balls without falling apart (you may not need an entire jar).
- Using either a tablespoon or melon baller, scoop and roll cake mix into tiny balls, and place on parchment lined baking sheets or a wire rack and place in freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- While the truffles are chilling, prepare your ganache. Place chocolate in double boiler (or a glass/metal bowl on top of a pot) over simmering water. Add coconut oil and stir gently until fully melted. Remove truffles from freezer, and place rack or parchment on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Carefully drop one truffle at a time into melted chocolate, gently turning with a spoon or skewer until it’s completely covered. Lift the finished truffle out with a spoon and transfer to a clean parchment lined baking sheet or wire rack. Repeat this step for remaining truffles, and allow to cool and harden in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle cake truffles with flaky sea salt right before serving. Stack ‘em up on a fancy plate and prepare to steal the show!
Pro tip: Vegan baking? See our FAQ for tips on baking the perfect vegan cake!
Range of servings: makes 32-34 cake balls