It’s almost the Fourth of July and we’re taking the spirit of Old Glory right into the kitchen for a super patriotic bake sesh. These mini berry crumbles are full of juicy red and blue berries and topped with a buttery (but also vegan) vanilla cake mix coconut crumble. Perfect for a backyard barbecue dessert or even a delicious independence day brunch side dish!
Mini Berry Crumbles
Makes 4 red berry and 4 blue berry crumbles
For the red filling
– 1 cup fresh strawberries
– 1 cup fresh raspberries
– 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the blue filling
– 1 cup fresh blueberries
– 1 cup fresh blackberries
– 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
For the crumble
– 1 box Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix
– 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
– 2 cups rolled oats
– 1 cup shredded coconut
– ½ cup coconut oil, melted
Optional topping: vanilla ice cream
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease 8 6-inch ramekins.
2. For the crumble: In a large mixing bowl, add cake mix, cinnamon, oats, and shredded coconut. Pour melted coconut oil over mixture. Using your hands, work in the coconut oil until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes to chill.
3. For the filling: Working in two separate bowls, combine berries and sugar for each filling; toss to coat. Evenly divide the fruit mixtures between the prepared ramekins- 4 red filling, 4 blue filling.
4. Sprinkle the chilled crumble mixture evenly over each ramekin*. Bake until the topping is golden and the fruit is bubbly, 35-40 minutes. Serve with your favorite vanilla ice cream.
*There will be leftover crumble mixture. Place in freezer and cover for future use.