These ooey gooey butter bars are true to their name. They are gooey, have a rich, buttery texture, and are so good. This famous St. Louis dessert comes with two layers: a soft vanilla cake base topped with a gooey cream cheese layer. Sounds great right? These bars use our favorite Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix, which makes the recipe super easy to make and clean up.
This recipe is simple enough to put together in less than an hour and makes for the perfect after-school snack or treat to bring to coworkers and friends. You’re just one recipe from ooey, gooey, goodness!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-50 minutes
- Total Time: 55-65 minutes
- Yield: 16 bars
1 box Miss Jones Vanilla Cake Mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 eggs, divided
2 cups confectioners sugar, plus extra for dusting
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9” square pan with aluminum foil. Spray foil with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and 1 egg. Add cake mix and fold in just until fully combined. Press batter into the bottom of the prepared pan in an even layer.
3. In another large bowl, beat together the remaining 2 eggs, cream cheese, confectioners sugar, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Pour over cake layer, smoothing surface with a spatula.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, until edges are golden brown and center appears set but still soft.
5. Allow to cool completely before dusting with confectioners sugar and slicing into bars.