Caramel Apple Bars
Fall is *FINALLY* here, and we couldn’t be happier! Time to start inventing excuses to skip town for days picking apples in Apple Hill, CA, ‘cause we’re ready for some sugar, spice and cider to make our favorite season even sweeter. To kick things off, we’ve created a super-easy recipe for a baked caramel apple bar with a lil somethin’ somethin’ (aka gooey, gorgeous caramel sauce). You might be able to get away with this as a breakfast treat, but we definitely recommend breaking into these bars late-night with a scoop of ice cream.
Anyway you slice ‘em, apple season’s back again! So let’s bake the most of it.
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
For the crust:
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 box Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix
For the topping:
- 2-3 medium apples (cored and thinly sliced)
- 1 jar your favorite caramel sauce (we used Fran’s)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using an electric mixer, combine butter, egg and cake mix on a medium setting for about 1-2 minutes or until fully combined. Be careful not to over-work the dough.
- Roll dough into a ball and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes. Remove from fridge and roll dough out on a floured surface to about 1/8” thickness, then transfer it to a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Bake crust for 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and cover evenly with a layer of sliced apple.
- Bake for another 12 minutes, or until apple layer is soft and slightly bubbly.
- Drizzle top of your bars with your favorite caramel sauce, slice and snack away!
- For vegan bakers: you can substitute egg and butter with a flax egg and 1/2 cup softened vegan butter to make your crust.
- It’s cool to slice, dice, or ribbon out your apples for this recipe, just make sure the apple layer is evenly about 1/4” thick throughout.