Thumbprint cookies are our jam! These delicious, flaky cookies feature a bit of fruity goodness from our friends (and office neighbors!) at Inna Jam. Whether you’re jamming on that light and tangy lemon or sweet Seascape Strawberry, these tasty treats will have you ready for the summer months ahead with every bite.
Cake Batter Thumbprint Cookies
Makes 26-28 cookies
For the cookies:
– 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 1 egg
– 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more if necessary
– 1 box Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix
For the coating:
– ¾ cup coarse sanding or raw sugar
– 1 egg, lightly beaten
For the filling:
– INNA jam flavor of your choice
– Lemon curd
Dough will be dry and crumbly, just keep working with it until you have a consistently sticking-together texture. It’s okay to add 1 tablespoon of water to help things along. Vegan bakers can use egg substitute OR 1/8 cup additional coconut oil for this recipe, just make sure batter is still fairly crumbly.
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Prepare two parchment lined baking sheets.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and fluffy. Beat in egg and mix until fully incorporated. Add flour and cake mix in batches, stirring until dough is thoroughly combined and slightly crumbly.
3. Place sanding sugar in a small bowl. Place 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of milk or cream in a separate bowl. Using your hands and a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon measure, scoop out dough and firmly press together to form a small ball. Roll in sugar until evenly coated.
4. Place cookie dough balls on prepared baking sheet. Using your thumb or the back of a tablespoon measure, firmly press down on each ball making a deep indent.
5. With your fingertips or a pastry brush, lightly coat the tips of the cookie and sprinkle with raw sugar. Place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from refrigerator and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
7. Transfer cookies to wire racks and let cool. Using a small spoon, fill each cookie with your favorite INNA jam or lemon curd.