If you’re craving a treat with a kick, these easy-to-make blood orange donuts are the perfect pick-me-up. These little guys bake up nice and fluffy in minutes using the Babycakes Cake Pop Maker, and they’re a much healthier alternative to bakery donuts (but just as tasty).
We’ve topped these classic vanilla cake mix donuts with a drizzle of zesty blood orange-infused icing for a zing of flavor and a bright pink pop—without all the artificial colors.
Blood Orange Donuts
For the donuts
– 3 eggs
– 1/2 cup oil
– 1/4 cup water
– 1/4 cup sour cream
– 1/2 cup blood orange segments, finely chopped (about 2 blood oranges)
– 1 box Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix
For the glaze
– 3 cups powdered sugar
– 3 tablespoons sour cream
– 3 tablespoons blood orange juice (from 1-2 blood oranges)
– Do NOT attempt this recipe in a normal donut pan – it will not work. Use this Babycakes Cake Pop Maker
– You MUST fill the donut cavity completely full or you’ll end up with a lumpy looking donut top/bottom
– One side of the donuts will be golden brown and the other side will be cake white. We made the golden brown side the “top” side of our muffin because it had a more even coloring that we think looks prettier when glazed
1. Zest one blood orange, and finely chop the segments from 2 blood oranges, set aside.
2. Combine eggs, oil, water and cake mix in a large bowl, stirring until smooth. Fold in zest and fruit.
3. Using a natural nonstick cooking spray, give donut pan a quick spray, then fill molds all the way with donut batter.
4. Bake donuts in Babycakes Cake Pop Maker for 3 1/2 minutes. Remove each donut using small spatula or fork, and set on a plate or rack to cool.
5. To make the glaze, combine the juice of 2 blood oranges with powdered sugar and sour cream in a small bowl. Add more powdered sugar or blood orange juice to reach the desired consistency. Drizzle or dip donuts in glaze.