This Valentine’s Day, it’s time to let the beet(s) drop. That’s right, we’re talking about our Beet Red Velvet Cake made with Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix, rich cocoa and buttermilk, real beets, and no artificial colors or flavors. Top it off with Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Frosting and you’ve got a cake that no one will be able to resist. Trust us.
Beet Red Velvet Layer Cake
Organic beet red velvet cake with creamy organic vanilla frosting
Makes 2 8-inch cake rounds
– 1 large fresh beet, peeled and cut into small chunks
– ½ cup buttermilk
– 3 eggs
– ½ cup vegetable oil
– 1 tablespoon apple cider or rice wine vinegar
– 3 ½ tablespoons TCHO or other natural cocoa powder
– 1 package Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix
– 1 jar Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Frosting
– The success of this recipe depends on following the instructions EXACTLY. The red color from the beets will turn brown if the acidity of the batter is too low. The ingredients that provide the necessary acidity are the buttermilk, vinegar, and NATURAL cocoa powder. You do NOT want to use “dutch-process” cocoa powders as it has been processed to remove some of the acidity. As long as you stick to the recipe, you should have a beautiful beet red velvet cake!
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease & flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
2. Place beet chunks and buttermilk in a blender or small food processor. Blend on high until completely pureed and smooth.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, vinegar, and beet puree. Add in cocoa powder and Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix, and continue whisking until fully combined.
4. Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pans on wire rack for 12-15 minutes. Turn cakes out onto rack to cool completely.
5. Place one cake layer on a plate and cover with Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Frosting. Repeat with remaining layer.